NYCC 2012: Capcom Announces Darkstalkers Resurrection
In a somewhat surprising move, Capcom announced at a NYCC 2012 panel that Darkstalkers Resurrection was headed for both Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network in early 2013. While it is not a brand new entry in the cult favorite series, the compilation brings both the second and third installments together in one package, which are Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge and Darkstalkers 3, respectively. In regards to what fans can expect with this digital compilation, the bundle includes the following features:
- FAITHFUL RECREATION: Both Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge and Darkstalkers 3 are faithful to the original arcade release of the games.
- UPGRADED VISUALS: The games can be played with a variety of HD filtering options along with several viewing modes ranging from full screen to over the shoulder arcade mode for those who want to re-live the classic arcade experience.
- ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY: GGPO-enabled online game play helps create a virtually lag-free fighting game experience that now includes upgraded matchmaking, with additional options such as region matching, ping lock and ping display.
- REPLAY SHARING: Players will be able to save replays of their match and upload it to either the game’s match server or directly to YouTube.
- SPECTATOR AND WATCH WITH FRIENDS MODES: Players waiting for their turn to fight will be able to participate by viewing and discussing ongoing matches with Spectator Mode. “Watch With Friends” mode allows players in a private room to download or stream matches, where they can provide comments and discuss in real time.
- UNLOCKABLE CONTENT FOR FANS: Challenge/Tutorial Mode features in-depth tutorials that teach useful strategies for each character. When challenges are successfully accomplished, during Challenge/Tutorial Mode or during regular game play, points are earned which can be redeemed to unlock vault items such as concept artwork, videos and more.
A trailer was also released showing off the game compilation, ugly HD visual filters included:
It would seem that the release of Darkstalkers Resurrection would be the barometer that Capcom will use in order to see if a full-fledged sequel to the franchise is worth the effort. As such, it’s up to the fans here to ensure that this game sells well in order to see a new entry in the series at some point in the future.